Introduction to guest:
Troy Martin is a fitness and nutrition coach or, as he likes to put it, a personal trainer with bells on.
Troy mostly trains recreationally athletic people with an interest in strength and conditioning for improved sporting performance.
With a background in Reformer Pilates, Troy has extensive experience with helping people to overcome and rehab injuries, and has a special personal interest in corrective exercise for lower back pain.
On the nutrition front, Troy deals with weight management and performance nutrition, where he applies evidence-based principles. An evidence-based approach is important to Troy, he believes that this is the only effective and ethical way to inform one’s recommendations and ensure safe practice.
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“Don’t major on the minors.”
BCAA’s are a waste of money.
“You can make your pain a lot worse by exaggerating and catastrophizing it in your head.”
“Most fit people can do 25 press ups in 30 seconds but try doing 10 [for the duration of] a minute.”
Question of the day:
“What do people overthink in terms of health and fitness?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
If you enjoyed this, you will love our first podcast with Troy where we discuss diets (including intermittent fasting and Slimming World), exercise, gym anxiety and how to look after your back.
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:22 – What has changed in the world of strength and nutrition.
- 01:18 – What Troy has been researching recently.
- 02:00 – Troy’s scientific writing method.
- 03:41 – Behaviour change, coaching and fat loss.
- 18:26 – Characteristics of a good personal training/strength programme.
- 23:00 – Troy’s own training programme.
- 27:00 – Gaz’s training programme.
- 27:36 – The importance of longer periods of low volume exercise on your mental health.
- 28:22 – Do we overthink nutrition, exercise and general health?
- 31:35 – What specific things people overthink in health and fitness.
- 33:47 – Protein powders, BCAAs and other supplements.
- 51:50 – What is inflammation?
- 55:27 – What are the big things to get right for health?
- 57:37 – The mind muscle connection.
- 01:01:13 – Creative visualisation studies and practices.
- 01:04:47 – Strength is a skill.
- 01:06:12 – Stem cell treatment.
- 01:07:52 – Recovering from and preventing injury (general and specifically relating to back injuries).
- 01:17:38 – How the mind plays a role in pain – catastrophising or exaggerating pain.
- 01:20:22 – Troy’s recommended resources.
- 01:22:02 – Where you can find Troy.
People and resources mentioned:
- Ben Coomber
- Transtheoretical model of change
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
- BTN Academy
- The Decision by Kevin Hart
- Christian Bale
- Tim Ferriss Workout – Kettlebell Swings from The 4-Hour Body
- Mike Mahler
- Live Life Aggressively Podcast
- The Inner Game Of Tennis
- Against The Rules Podcast
- Wim Hof
- Steve Maxwell
- Richard Turner on Tim Ferriss Show
- Jonny Wilkinson
- Pavel Tsatsouline
- Joe Rogan Podcast
- Troy’s blog on how the mind plays a role in pain
- Stronger by science
- Mindset by Dave
- Troy’s blogs for My Home Vitality