Introduction to guests:
James and Owen are two highly experienced clinicians that specialise in how the body moves and practices like myofascial release to improve body mechanics and reduce pain.
They work with a range of patients, from office workers, to professional athletes, to dancers and musicians.
When they’re not in clinic, they’re travelling the world, teaching osteopaths, physiotherapists, masseurs and movement therapists, how to incorporate art and philosophy into anatomy, biomechanics and sport.
These are the guys behind Born to Move!
Enjoy the show…And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
It is more efficient for humans to walk on two legs. We burn fewer calories standing than we do bending.
The human anatomy adapted to suit the bipedal walk.
There is no such thing as good or bad posture.
Posture and pain are not related. There is evidence to suggest that “improving” posture reduces pain.
Create movement options in your day.
Focus on movement, not posture. Life is about movement, not posture.
SAID principle: Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. Our bodies respond to demand (hardship).
It’s not sitting that’s going to kill us, it’s lack of movement.
Be as bare foot as possible.
Your feet can impact the way your whole body moves, including your head, neck and shoulders.
Soft tissue can be too soft or too firm.
Fascia is a band or sheet of connective tissue, primarily collagen, beneath the skin that attaches to, stabilizes, encloses, and separates muscles and other internal organs.
Myofascia is the same as fascia but relates to the muscles.
Be friends with your body.
Exercise is not a punishment.
Increasing daily movement is exercise.
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more podcasts about human movement and pain check out these related videos…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Intro to James and Owen
- 00:00:54 – Why do humans move the way they do?
- 00:04:15 – The evolution of human movement.
- 00:07:38 – How to move most efficiently.
- 00:08:57 – How athletes can improve their performance.
- 00:13:29 – Exercises to improve athletic performance.
- 00:16:29 – Data used to measure movement efficiencies.
- 00:17:41 – How pain changes our movement patterns.
- 00:19:33 – How to avoid pain and develop “good posture”.
- 00:25:00 – Posture correctors, neck braces and back braces for posture.
- 00:25:53 – How much movement does the average person need?
- 00:30:34 – Letting older people move.
- 00:37:42 – Understanding the Human Foot.
- 00:42:14 – How to train your feet.
- 00:44:13 – How to choose the right shoe.
- 00:45:49 – How do your feet impact the rest of your body?
- 00:48:01 – How long would it take to get used to minimal running shoes?
- 00:50:50 – How to get rid of leg cramps at night.
- 00:53:12 – How to stop restless leg syndrome at night.
- 00:54:27 – What is fascia and myofascia?
- 00:56:41 – What is myofascial release?
- 00:59:37 – Should soft tissue always be soft?
- 01:03:11 – Would a caveman need physical therapy?
- 01:05:38 – Can massage be dangerous?
- 01:07:58 – Death by massage!
- 01:09:52 – Does posture impact your mood?
- 01:12:52 – Relatively unknown recommendations.
- 01:14:21 – Final thoughts and messages.