Introduction to podcast:
The Black Country Buddhas Podcast features an assortment of awesome conversations with the most entertaining and enlightening guests the health and wellness world has to offer, including:
- A vegan heavyweight champion
- A World Series winner
- A blind ultra-endurance challenge competitor
- Ex-professional footballers
- A triathlete couple
- A veteran martial arts expert
- And many more.
In this episode, the BCB’s discuss what they have been pondering over the past week.
To listen to The Black Country Buddhas on Google Home, simply say “Ok Google, listen to The Black Country Buddhas Podcast on Spotify”
The same works for the Amazon Alexa, Echo and Show.
Please leave your reviews on iTunes and YouTube <3!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“Think big and go small.” (05:52).
“We don’t rise to the level of our challenges; we fall to the level of our systems.” (10:30).
“Depressed is actually DEEP REST.” (01:02:35).
“If you’re so smart, why aren’t you winning?” (01:06:08).
“You need the next mission.” (01:14:23)
“You know when you know you do not know.” (01:17:46).
Question of the day:
“Do we take enough ownership of our circumstances?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
The previous recorded conversation between the Buddhas was in August 2019, in which they discuss Gaz’s new job and why he loves it.
The podcast also includes:
- GAZ’S NEW JOB
- GOOD MORNING RITUALS
- WHY ANXIETY MAY NOT BE A BAD THING
- EXERCISING WHILST WORKING A MANUAL JOB
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF MODERN GYMS
- MARTIAL ARTS AND SELF-DEFENCE
- BEING AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS
- A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON EXERCISE
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with the Buddhas, and their guests, live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming podcast guests (or the Buddhas).
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:42 – Focussing on priorities can lead to selfishness.
- 01:25 – Inviting Mara to tea.
- 02:08 – Acceptance.
- 02:33 – Nothing is new.
- 03:48 – Using books as reference guides.
- 04:00 – There is no one way.
- 04:22 – Reality has a surprising amount of detail
- 05:52 – Think big and then go small.
- 07:47 – “If I’m so smart, why am I not winning?”
- 08:37 – System 1 and system 2 thinking.
- 10:00 – Setting habits and willpower doesn’t work.
- 11:13 – Flow state and Rickson Gracie example
- 12:24 – How thinking impacts our energy and energy impacts our thinking.
- 15:28 – How little decisions impact on your entire life.
- 15:58 – Making associations throughout your life.
- 16:20 – Water and hydration.
- 20:04 – Does stress and overthinking outweigh healthy decisions?
- 23:28 – Stress as a major contributing factor to ill health and how to fight it.
- 24:15 – White belt mentality and having a student’s perspective.
- 25:07 – Life and leadership lessons from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- 29:50 – Mentors and Nuno Espírito Santo’s approach to leadership.
- 30:49 – Breaking the macro into the micro.
- 31:25 – Principles of strength training and time static contractions.
- 32:48 – Transferability of training into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, breathing and Russian Systema.
- 34:18 – Cold showers and Wim Hoff breathing techniques.
- 35:40 – Breathing and the science behind the Wim Hoff breath.
- 38:28 – Fighting flu.
- 40:00 – How important C02 is in the body.
- 41:03 – Releasing tension through breathing.
- 41:24 – Nasal breathing and running technique.
- 45:27 – Mewing (tongue position in mouth).
- 47:36 – Do we take enough ownership of our circumstances?
- 49:32 – Mood is a recipe not an ingredient.
- 52:41 – Are grief, loss and heartbreak selfish emotions and is everything we do self-serving?
- 54:04 – Awareness by Anthony de Mello – selfishness, labels, perceptions and attachment.
- 58:15 – Life is suffering.
- 59:55 – Fear setting.
- 01:01:42 – Feeling okay whilst depressed.
- 01:02:54 – Playing the game of life – the poker analogy.
- 01:07:55 – Creating a no-lose situation.
- 01:09:58 – Everything is about balance!
- 01:10:34 – The carnivore diet is an elimination diet.
- 01:12:00 – Just eat! The minefield of nutrition.
- 01:14:15 – Using goals as a life tool.
- 01:14:53 – Good questions to ask yourself in life.
- 01:17:47 – You will never know everything or anything.
- 01:18:57 – How to consume good information quickly.
People and resources mentioned:
- Don’t be a Pinball by Gareth Philpotts
- The One Thing by Gar Keller and Jay Papasan
- Tim Ferriss
- Jocko Willink
- Gary Vee
- Tao Te Ching
- Five Bullet Friday
- Reality has a surprising amount of detail by John Salvatier
- How to create routines for your goals by Shaun Cadwalleder
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Ben Greenfield Podcast on hydration with Dr. Dana Cohen.
- Paul Chek – Monitoring Body Fluids 4 Your Health
- Steve Maxwell
- Drew Baye
- Blue Zones
- Steve Maxwell and Drew Baye podcast
- Tim Ferriss Podcast
- Kanō Jigorō
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- William Shatner
- Patrick Stewart
- Wolves FC
- Nuno Espírito Santo
- Rickson Gracie Seminar – The Importance of Self-defence and Breathing
- Wim Hof
- Russian Systema
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu
- Rhonda Patrick
- Rhonda Patrick and Dr. Pierre Capel – The Power of the Mind & the Science of Wim Hof
- The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown
- Rickson Gracie
- Brian Rose – London Real
- Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
- Natural Born Heroes by Christopher McDougall
- David Toney
- Awareness by Anthony de Mello
- Are Heartbreak, Grief And Loss Selfish Emotions? by Shaun Cadwalleder
- Aubrey Marcus
- Jordan Peterson
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- Fear setting article by Shaun Cadwalleder
- Kevin Rose on The Tim Ferriss Show
- Casino Royale (James Bond)
- Conor McGregor
- Tom Furman
- Don’t Throw The Baby Out With The Bathwater by Gareth Philpotts
- Joe Rogan’s carnivore diet update
- Ben Greenfield
- Man’s Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Good Questions To Ask That Will Change Your Life by Shaun Cadwalleder.
- Tim Urban’s blog – Wait But Why
- Derek Sivers’ blog
- Naval Ravikant’s blog
- Seth Godin’s blog
- Mark Manson’s blog
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson
- The Tail End by Tim Urban – incorrectly referred to as “you’re into the home straight” during podcast