Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook. 3 to 4 hours to cool.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 450g sweet potato, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 400ml “light” coconut milk
- 340g packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 170g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175C / 350F / gas mark 3.
- Peel and dice sweet potato. Add to pan and boil until soft. Around 10 – 15 mins.
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake: Toss raisins and rum in a small bowl and leave to stand. Whisk flour, nutmeg and salt in another bowl.
- Mash sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed. Mix items well.
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar and butter; beat until combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until evenly moistened. Now add in the raisins and any remaining rum. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- To prepare topping: Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins.
- Let cake cool in the pan for around 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring.
- Let it cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate until cold. Upto 3 hours.