Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook. 3 to 4 hours to cool.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 450g sweet potato, peeled
- 3 large eggs
- 400ml “light” coconut milk
- 340g packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 170g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preparing the pan:
- Preheat oven to 175C / 350F / gas mark 3.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato. Add to a pan and boil until soft. Around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Coat a 9-inch spring-form pan with organic oil, butter or cooking spray.
Preparing the cake:
- Toss raisins and rum in a small bowl and leave to stand. Whisk flour, nutmeg and salt in another bowl.
- Drain the sweet potato and mash in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs to the sweet potato and beat (preferably with an electric mixer on medium speed).
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar and butter to the sweet potato; beat until combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, raisins and rum until the mixture is evenly moistened. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
Preparing the topping:
- Combine the coconut, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until a knife can be inserted into the centre and comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for around 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring.
- Let it cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate until cold (up to 3 hours).