Introduction to guest:
Damian Porter has been (or is) a:
- Career Firefighter,
- National Champion Bodybuilder,
- Exercise Rehabilitation Physiologist,
- Special Forces Operator,
- Police Officer,
- No Nonsense Self-Defence Instructor.
He was one of the first Personal Trainers in the world and has been professionally involved in the health and wellness space for over 28 years.
He now coaches people to eat healthy, sleep better and conquer stress.
“We all want to eat healthy, sleep better and conquer stress. We also need empathy and understanding. As a coach with three decades of experience, I will meet you exactly where you are at.” – Damian Porter.
Enjoy the show…And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch clips our shows!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Get to the next meal.
Be a good listener.
You need help!
“Do the best you can. With what you’ve got. Where you are.”
7.5 to 9 hours of sleep is not negotiable. Do the maths and make it happen.
If you’ve ever had a baby, you know how to go to sleep because you taught the baby how to sleep.
Stress is catabolic (breaking-down aspects of metabolism, as opposed to anabolism which is building-up aspects).
Find things that make you laugh. It changes the way you feel.
You control your thoughts.
Damian only trains 2 to 3 hours per week!
Exercise can be simple!
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more podcasts with special forces operatives check out these related videos…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:00:42 – Welcome to the best podcast in the world!
- 00:00:56 – My body saved me.
- 00:03:47 – What I learned from Mr New Zealand.
- 00:05:05 – From bodybuilding to the SAS.
- 00:09:18 – The perils of SAS selection.
- 00:14:46 – You need help!
- 00:16:42 – How to eat, sleep and conquer stress.
- 00:19:01 – How to sleep better (for busy people).
- 00:22:10 – Should you drink alcohol before bed?
- 00:23:22 – Tips for sleeping with a partner.
- 00:25:47 – A potent sleep remedy.
- 00:27:30 – Key things to get right for health & high performance.
- 00:29:52 – How to sleep with someone that snores.
- 00:31:33 – Sleeping in the Special Forces.
- 00:32:34 – How long can you go without sleep?
- 00:35:12 – NZ SAS: Stories from The Kill House!
- 00:38:55 – Operations gone wrong.
- 00:40:50 – Counter terrorism.
- 00:41:49 – An unknown recommendation.
- 00:42:38 – What skills would you give your child?
- 00:43:48 – An unpopular opinion.
- 00:45:42 – A Prisoner of War Mindset.
- 00:47:13 – Damian’s training regime.
- 00:51:49 – Martial arts is not self-defence!
- 00:55:13 – Damian’s final message.
- 00:55:56 – Where to find more from Damian & his challenge for the future.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Andy Stumpf
- Ant Middleton
- Box Breathing
- CPAP machine
- Denis Waitley – Winners Edge
- Dr. Kirk Parsley
- Fortitude Training (Professor Scott Stevenson)
- GBRS Group
- Les Mills Gym NZ
- Married at First Sight
- Mind Power (John Kehoe)
- Nic Gill (Dr. Nicholas Gill)
- Prince’s Gate
- SAS: Who Dares Wins
- Tony Robbins