Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 4- 6 hours marinading and 25 minutes to cook.
- 12 chicken wings
- 4 long, mild red chillies, left whole
- 4 spring onions, green part only
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli
- 3cm piece root ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 100ml oz cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 seedless oranges
- Chop the spring onions, scotch bonnet, ginger and thyme leaves. Add all into in a food blender.
- Now add the cider vinegar, honey, allspice, cinnamon and olive oil.
- Blend until they form a smooth paste.
- Now place the chicken wings into an ovenproof dish and pour over the jerk marinade, turning the wings to coat them in the marinade.
- Cover the dish and chill in the fridge for at least 4 – 6 hours turning the wings over every 2-3 hours.
- Half an hour before you want to eat, light the barbecue. Leave to warm up and then place the wings onto the grill and cook for 12-15 minutes, turning them over every so often and basting with the remaining jerk marinade.
- Meanwhile, place the whole chillies onto the grill. Barbecue for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, or until golden-brown grill marks appear on all sides. Remove from the grill and keep warm.
- Now for the sugared oranges, sprinkle the sugar onto a plate.Cut orange into quarters and place each orange quarter in the sugar, then place the orange quarters, cut-sides down, onto the grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes, or until the sugar melts and turns golden-brown.
- To serve, place three jerk chicken wings onto each of four serving plates. Place two sugared orange quarters and one grilled chilli alongside each serving of chicken wings.