Introduction to guest:
Having started as a bricklayer at the age of 16, Steve transformed his life to become the founder of Bluefish, a company that offers the highest level of personalized travel, transportation, and entertainment on the planet.
He has worked with some of the world’s most iconic figures including Sir Richard Branson, Elon Musk and Sir Elton John, to name just a few.
In this podcast, Steve teaches us how to make extraordinary experiences possible, like when he arranged a wedding in the Vatican and had the married couple blessed by the Pope, sent people down to see the wreck of the Titanic, or when he closed a museum in Florence for a private dinner party and had Andrea Bocelli serenade the guests while they ate their pasta.
We also talk about how he befriends the most elite performers in the world and how he nurtures those relationships in order to make things happen.
As a sought-after coach and a speaker (having delivered speeches at the Pentagon and Harvard – twice!) Steve is an expert in communicating with a fun and authentic style… You’re going to love this podcast!
Sit back, enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more!
More from Steve:
Book: Bluefishing: The Art of Making Things Happen
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Dare to ask!
If you’re getting an answer that you don’t like, maybe you’re asking the wrong question.
Value your time!… What can you do that’s most impactful?
Recruit culture. You can teach skills, you can’t teach culture.
Lean into failure to grasp the education and growth from it.
Never go for the impossible, go for the stupid!
“People always laugh at you just before they applaud.”
Change the room you are in.
“If you feel like you don’t fit in, good! Run with it!”
“You can’t stand out if you fit in.”
“If you don’t quit today, you’ll be me tomorrow.”
“My net worth is my network.”
“There’s no one on this planet that has 6 best friends for 10 years.”
“What can I bring to this party?”
“I don’t always know but I go!”
“You can’t just walk on a rooftop, you need a ladder first.”
Turn your brand into an adjective or verb.
Practice your written communication via mobile and it will become leaner.
“If you’re getting a no, you’re either asking the wrong question or the wrong person.”
“I have been turned down thousands of times and I can’t remember any of them.” “There’s something about our psychology that forgets pain.” “We can’t retain the emotional content of pain.”
“Every time I’ve failed at something, I’ve made sure to see where the growth is.”
Failure → Education → Experience → Credibility → Confidence (it doesn’t work the other way around).
Don’t be afraid to stop reading a book if it doesn’t resonate with you.
“Show up!” (and don’t try to be anyone else).
Disrupt your week! Be in control of your week. The 5-day week is a myth.
Be less tolerant.
“Stop thinking, start doing.”
“I always challenge myself. If I don’t challenge myself, I get stagnant, stink and die.”
Question of the day:
“How do you nurture so many relationships across the world?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more on human relationships, entrepreneurship and making a positive change, listen to these podcasts…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:00:35 – Overall show introduction.
- 00:01:34 – Finding your purpose, happiness and success in life – mhvpath.com.
- 00:02:48 – Introduction to today’s show.
- 00:04:21 – Hello!
- 00:04:56 – How do you make extraordinary things happen?
- 00:14:25 – 3 habits of the rich, wealthy and successful people.
- 00:22:59 – The importance of “why”.
- 00:25:02 – First steps to changing your life.
- 00:29:03 – How Steve changed his life.
- 00:39:57 – How to nurture business relationships.
- 00:47:36 – The best time to ask for (and get) what you want.
- 00:51:33 – How to start when you have no contacts or resources.
- 00:55:51 – Why “Bluefishing”?
- 00:58:35 – The best way to organise your contacts.
- 01:00:42 – Creating time restrictions for creativity.
- 01:01:48 – Steve’s motorbikes.
- 01:02:25 – Steve’s bucket list.
- 01:03:24 – Lessons learned from failures.
- 01:06:47 – Recommended books.
- 01:07:51 – How to filter what resources to consume.
- 01:08:29 – Principles and life lessons that Steve lives by.
- 01:09:18 – The best investment Steve has ever made.
- 01:10:22 – A new behaviour that has changed Steve’s life.
- 01:11:13 – Gaz’s final thoughts.
- 01:11:47 – Steve’s final message.
- 01:11:54 – Where to find more from Steve and his future challenges.
- 01:13:04 – Where to find more.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Andrea Bocelli
- Bluefishing, The Art of Making Things Happen by Steve Sims
- Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss
- Elon Musk
- Influence by Robert Cialdini
- Jay Abraham
- Richard Branson
- Sir Elton John
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
- Tim Ferriss
- Trust Me I’m Lying by Ryan Holiday