Serves: 4 People
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 60 – 75 minutes to cook.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 white onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 chillies
- 8 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 4 large tomatoes – skinned
- 6 cardamom seeds – remove outer skin
- 1 heaped tsp. fennel seeds.
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tsp paprika
- Half tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch of fresh ginger.
- Half tsp of cinnamon or half a cinnamon stick
- Half a pint of vegetable stock (maybe more if required)
- 1 tbsp. amount of olive oil
- Brown rice
- Optional – chapattis
- Fat free Greek yoghurt
- Heat oven to Gas mark 6 (200 degrees C or 400 degrees F).
- Chop the butternut squash into small cubes – keeping the skin ON!
- Put in the hot oven with a little sprinkling of oil. Roast until just a little soft – about half an hour.
- Part boil diced potatoes in water – until just soft.
- Cut a cross into the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water. After 5 minutes take out and remove the skins.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Peel and chop the ginger.
- Put the onions, garlic and ginger in a blender with a small amount of water. Blitz until you form a smooth paste.
- Put the oil into a heavy pan and heat. Add the fennel and cumin seeds until they crackle. Add the garlic paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Add chopped chilies and other spices. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes, roasted squash, chopped tomatoes and chopped mushrooms.
- Now add stock.
- Simmer until all the vegetables are cooked. Check for seasoning.
- Serve with brown rice and fat free Greek yoghurt.
- Optional – chapattis.