Serves: 4 People
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 60 – 75 minutes to cook.
- 1 large butternut squash
- Olive oil
- 2 large potatoes
- 4 large tomatoes – skinned
- 2 white onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 1 heaped tsp. fennel seeds.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 chilies
- 6 cardamom seeds – remove outer skin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tsp paprika
- Half tsp. turmeric
- Half tsp. of cinnamon or half a cinnamon stick
- 8 chestnut mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- Half a pint of vegetable stock (maybe more if required)
- Brown rice
- Fat free Greek yoghurt
- Optional – chapattis
- Heat oven to Gas mark 6 (200 degrees C or 400 degrees F).
- Chop the butternut squash into small cubes – keeping the skin ON!
- Put in the hot oven with a little sprinkling of oil. Roast until just a little soft – about half an hour.
- Dice the potatoes and part boil in water – until just soft.
- Cut a cross into the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water. After 5 minutes take out and remove the skins.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Peel and chop the garlic and ginger.
- Put the onions, garlic and ginger in a blender with a small amount of water (start with a tsp.). Blitz until you form a smooth paste (add water if necessary but needs to be the texture of paste rather than a sauce).
- Put 1 tbsp. of oil into a heavy pan and heat. Add the fennel and cumin seeds until they crackle. Add the garlic paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Finely chop and add the chilies, along with the cardamom, coriander, paprika, turmeric and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Chop the mushrooms and red pepper into small squares and add to the pan, along with the part boiled potatoes, roasted squash and chopped tomatoes.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Simmer until all the vegetables are cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with brown rice, Greek yoghurt and chapattis (optional).
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe!
If you have any ideas or alternatives, add them in the comments box below!
Also, tag us in your pictures on Instagram @MyHomeVitality or #MHV or #MHVLife