Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to cook. 2 minutes cooling
This roast chickpea recipe from allrecipes.co.uk focuses on Indian spices specifically but be creative with it, try your own spices!
It takes very little effort to make this snack and it is a perfect light, healthy treat to pick at throughout your day, or week.
As it takes very little effort or special equipment, it is a great one to make with the kids too!
Tip – Focus on the quality of your chickpeas. Find organic chickpeas that are creamy rather than mealy as they roast best (and make good hummus too).
- 500g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a baking tray with foil.
- Stir together the chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, garam masala, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt in a mixing bowl. Spread the chickpea mixture in a single layer on the prepared baking tray.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the chickpeas are dark brown in spots and crisp, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. They will shrink quite a bit through the cooking time. Cool to room temperature before serving.