So smooth in texture but high in flavour, this soup is a must for any Christmas starter.
It’s as healthy as a starter gets and high in beta-carotene and lycopene, two antioxidants that may help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- 2 large red bell peppers (1 lb.), plus slices for garnish (optional)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, sliced (1/2 lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bell peppers on a baking sheet, and roast for 1 hour, or until skin is wrinkled and blackened all over, turning peppers occasionally so all sides can roast evenly. Once done transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap 10 minutes to steam. When peppers have cooled down, rub off blackened peel, and remove seeds.
2. Heat oil in 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add curry powder and bay leaf, and stir for 10 seconds. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and salt to mix. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Now reduce heat to medium-low temperature, and simmer, covered, for around 25 minutes.
4. Transfer carrot mixture to blender, add bell peppers, and purée until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish servings with bell pepper slices, if using.
- Calories: 101
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 418 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe – We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback and send in your pictures!
If you have any ideas or alternatives to this recipe please send them in or make a comment in the box below!