Serves: 4 – 6 people.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes to prep, 40 minutes to cook.
- 500g lean mince
- Half tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or brown sauce
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g sweet potato, peeled
- 400g can of baked beans
- 360ml stock – organic vegetable or beef
- Salt and pepper
- 25g organic butter
- Optional – Small amount of low fat / light grated cheddar to top
- Optional – Fresh ‘in season’ vegetables or cabbage, broccoli and peas
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the mince and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Put the meat to one side and add the onion. Reduce the heat and cook the onion until soft.
- Mix together the meat and the onion and add the Worcestershire sauce (or brown sauce), baked beans, salt and pepper.
- Add the stock to the meat mix – vegetable or beef.
- Meanwhile cook the potatoes and sweet potato in boiling water until soft. When soft, drain and mash with the butter.
- Put the meat into the dish and cover with the mashed potato.
- Optional – Add grated low fat / light cheddar cheese on top, and put in to the oven. This can be added just to help the top of the pie brown nicely.
- Cook until the top is golden brown.
- Optional – Whilst the pie is cooking, boil the fresh, in season vegetables (cabbage, broccoli and peas) for 6 – 8 minutes (or slightly less if you like crunchy vegetables).
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe!
If you have any ideas or alternatives, add them in the comments box below!
Also, tag us in your pictures on Instagram @MyHomeVitality or #MHV or #MHVLife