- 4 portabello mushrooms, peeled – remove stalks and chop finely.
- Splash of olive or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli
- 220 (8 oz) button or chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of dried breadcrumbs
- 2 handfuls of chopped ham (optional)
- 2 small handfuls of feta cheese or blue cheese
- Salt and ground pepper
- Remove the stalks from the portabello mushrooms and chop finely.
- Put a splash of olive or sunflower oil into a frying pan and add the garlic, herbs and chilli. Heat through gently to flavour the oil.
- Add the chopped stalks, chopped button or chestnut mushrooms gently. Fry gently until mushrooms release liquid and onions are translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Then add the dried breadcrumbs.
- Oil an oven dish and place the two cleaned portabello’s with the stalk side facing up. Pack with the stuffing mixture. Cover with ham – if using – and sprinkle on the cheese. Season to taste remembering that both ham and cheese are salty.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until browned on the top.