Serves 4 (8 pancakes)
- 250g (4oz)of blueberries or other soft fruit in season
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons of Demerara sugar , or honey, to taste
- Vegetable oil for greasing – or low calorie spray
- 4 tablespoons half fat crème – fraiche or low fat greek yoghurt to serve
- 125g (4oz ) plain flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 300ml (half pint) skimmed milk
1. Put all pancake ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth – Or put the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and gradually beat in the milk until a smooth batter is produced. Stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile put the blueberries, , orange juice, sugar or honey into a small saucepan. Heat gently until sugar has melted and the blueberries start to burst. Cool a little.
3. Heat a small frying pan and grease lightly. When really hot add a small amount of batter and swirl evenly around the pan (should be enough batter to make 8 pancakes).
4. Cook gently for 2 minutes until browned. Flip the pancake and cook for about another 30 seconds.
5. Put pancake onto a warmed plate and cover with a clean tea towel. Repeat with the remaining batter to produce 8 pancakes.
6. To serve – put 2 pancakes onto a plate and pour over the fruit and add a spoonful of fromage fraiche or yoghurt.