Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 40 minutes to cook.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 / 375°F / 190°C.
- Now heat the vegetable oil in a pan and fry the onions for a few minutes.
- Add pepper, celery and mushrooms and fry for around 2 minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and fry for one more minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the flour in and stir. Add vegetable stock, nuts, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper.
- Grease the inside of a loaf tin. Put the mixture into the tin, pressing it down firmly with a spoon.
- Now bake for around 35 minutes.
Tip – The chopped nuts for this dish should be left in small pieces, about the size of peppercorns so don’t be tempted to mill them to a powder. If you’ve bought whole or broken nuts, either chop them carefully with a large kitchen knife or the slightly safer option is to put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin to get them down to size. This will give us a lovely crunchy and crumbly texture to the nut roast.
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe – We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback and send in your pictures!
If you have any ideas or alternatives to this recipe please send them in or make a comment in the box below!