Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes to prep, 40 minutes to cook.
- 200g (8 oz.) chopped mixed nuts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 grated carrot
- 2oz. (50g) sliced mushrooms
- 2oz. (50g) breadcrumbs
- 25g (1 oz.) plain whole-wheat flour
- 125ml (5 fl. oz.) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5 / 375°F / 190°C.
- Now heat the vegetable oil in a pan and fry the onions for a few minutes.
- Add pepper, celery and mushrooms and fry for around 2 minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and fry for one more minute.
- Remove from the heat, add the flour and stir. Add vegetable stock, nuts, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper.
- Grease the inside of a loaf tin.
- Put the mixture into the tin, pressing it down firmly with a spoon.
- Now bake for 35 minutes.
Tip – The chopped nuts for this dish should be left in small pieces, about the size of peppercorns. Don’t be tempted to mill them into a powder! If you’ve purchased whole or broken nuts, either chop them carefully with a large kitchen knife or put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin. This will give you a lovely crunchy and crumbly texture.
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe – We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback and send in your pictures!
If you have any ideas or alternatives to this recipe, please send them in or make a comment in the box below!