Introduction to guest:
Natalie Day Gomes is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt with over 9 years of experience.
Natalie trains under the man that John Danaher described as the best Jiu Jitsu player of all time, Roger Gracie, and her husband, the man who is often attributed to bringing BJJ to the UK, Mauricio Gomes, at RGA HQ in LONDON.
She also trains under Kevin Capel at RGA BUCKS, which she mentions during the show.
She has been teaching full-time for 7 years and was awarded her brown belt in October 2020.
She’s also competed at many levels, winning several medals in the process.
Enjoy the show…And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch clips our shows!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
It is imperative to find an instructor that you can talk to openly and confidently.
“The Perfect Correction Method” – Never start with a negative before correcting someone.
Don’t be afraid to say no to someone who wants to train with you. Pick your training partners wisely.
Teaching youngsters the basics helps you learn the basics. If you can teach it, you know it.
Sparring is a classic form of meditation, you can’t think of anything else whilst sparring.
There’s no faking Jiu Jitsu, you’re going to find out about yourself and you will never stop learning about yourself.
There are things that Jiu Jitsu will reveal to you about yourself that you may not like.
Compete at every belt (but don’t take it too seriously) because you will learn a lot.
Don’t take “it” too seriously. Have fun!
Make an event of things you love to enhance the experience.
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more podcasts on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu check out these related videos…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:01:42 – A welcome from the weirdos.
- 00:02:32 – Why Natalie started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:07:09 – Advice for people starting martial arts.
- 00:10:13 – Getting your ego in check before starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:12:22 – Natalie’s Injuries
- 00:14:24 – What to look for in a good training partner.
- 00:17:36 – What it’s like to be a female BJJ coach.
- 00:19:34 – The benefits of training with younger students.
- 00:22:22 – Advice for white belts in their first three years of Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:24:40 – Would Natalie have been a better social worker with Jiu Jitsu?
- 00:25:25 – The benefits of BJJ.
- 00:29:11 – How Natalie met Mauricio.
- 00:33:13 – How Mauricio Gomes and Roger Gracie train.
- 00:34:31 – Should BJJ gyms have a gym enforcer?
- 00:36:55 – More on how Mauricio Gomes and Roger Gracie train.
- 00:39:51 – How Mauricio and Roger changed Natalie’s perspective on Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:44:31 – Roger Gracie vs Buchecha.
- 00:45:15 – Roger Gracie’s strength and conditioning programme.
- 00:46:32 – Strength and conditioning for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:48:47 – Grow Jiu Jitsu.
- 00:50:16 – Grow Events.
- 00:53:16 – The Mauricio Gomes Legacy Cup
- 00:57:39 – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu camps.
- 01:00:08 – An unknown thing Natalie would recommend.
- 01:00:47 – 3 skills, qualities or attributes Natalie would give to her children.
- 01:04:16 – An uncommon belief.
- 01:06:21 – What makes a good coach?
- 01:07:36 – What surprises Natalie.
- 01:08:18 – Where to find Natalie.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Chris (Chris Rawlins) – Wombourne Legacy BJJ
- Darragh O’Conaill
- Dirty Dancing
- Ffion (Ffion Davies)
- Games of Thrones
- Geoff Thompson
- Gigi (Alexandre “Gigi” Paiva)
- Gordon Ryan
- Gracie Barra
- John Danaher
- John Wick
- Kev Capel
- Marcelo Garcia
- Matt Hill
- Mauricio Gomes
- Renzo (Renzo Gracie)
- RGA Bucks Gym
- RGA London
- RGA HQ
- Richard Feynman
- Roger (Roger Gracie)
- Steve Finnan
- The Bodyguard