Serves: 4 – 6 people.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes to prep, 50 minutes to cook.
- 4 Boneless chicken thighs with skin removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, 1 roughly chopped and 1 sliced
- 100g tomatoes
- 100g ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin, coriander, and cinnamon
- 1 large butternut squash, deseeded and cut into large chunks or alternatively 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 600ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful mint leaves
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Couscous / basmati rice and natural yogurt
- Season the chicken. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a flameproof dish and brown the chicken breasts on all sides.
- Remove the chicken to a plate. Now whizz the chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic into a rough paste.
- Fry the sliced onion in the remaining oil in the dish until softened, then add the spices and fry for 1 min more until fragrant. Now add the paste and fry for a few mins to soften.
- Add the chicken to the dish with the squash / sweet potatoes, stock, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 30 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Lift the chicken out, then continue simmering the sauce to thicken while you shred the chicken into bite-sized chunks. Stir the chicken back into the sauce and season.
- Mix the red onion, lemon zest, mint and feta. Scatter over the dish, then serve with some couscous / rice and yogurt.