Serves: 4 – 6 people.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes to prep, 50 minutes to cook.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs with skin removed
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, 1 roughly chopped and 1 sliced
- 100g tomatoes
- 100g ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin, coriander, and cinnamon
- 1 large butternut squash, deseeded and cut into large chunks (or alternatively 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 600ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful mint leaves
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Couscous / basmati rice
- Natural yogurt
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a flameproof pot or pan and brown the chicken breasts on all sides.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Whizz the single chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic into a rough paste.
- Fry the single sliced onion in the remaining oil until softened, then add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cinnamon, and fry for 1 minute more until fragrant.
- Add the paste to the pan and fry for a few minutes to soften.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the squash / sweet potatoes, chicken stock, brown sugar and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer, then cook for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cook the rice or couscous as per the packet instructions.
- Lift the chicken out, then continue simmering the sauce to thicken while you shred the chicken into bite-sized chunks.
- Stir the chicken back into the sauce and season with more salt and pepper to your liking.
- Mix the red onion, lemon zest, mint and feta, and scatter over the dish.
- Serve with the cooked couscous / rice and yogurt.
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe!
If you have any ideas or alternatives, add them in the comments box below!
Also, tag us in your pictures on Instagram @MyHomeVitality or #MHV or #MHVLife