Introduction to guest:
Mikey Wright is the founder of Mikey Wright Movements and director of PowerKube.
He uses martial arts as a vehicle to teach people, of all ages, lessons they can carry with them for life.
Mikey has studied a vast range of martial arts and self-defence systems, becoming one of the UK’s leading martial arts instructors with over 20 years’ experience.
He provides technical expertise to industry experts at the world leading UFC Performance Institutes in Las Vegas and Shanghai, and continues to work with both coaches and athletes to provide instruction in striking power analysis and performance measurement.
His qualifications include:
- Kickboxing – Black Belt
- Systema – Full Instructor under Vladimir Vasiliev
- The Approach self-protection method by Eddie Quinn – Level 3 Instructor.
- Shi Kon Tai Chi Club coach – Under Sifu Steve Rowe 9th Dan.
- Self-defence instruction – Btec level 3.
- British council of Chinese martial arts – BCCMA Level 2 Coaching certificate.
- Defence Lab lead Instructor – 5 years
He expresses his deep knowledge of striking and movement during the podcast but also how he has integrated other practices (for example meditation) into creating a holistic approach to martial arts, emphasising physical and emotional development, wellbeing and forming positive relationships.
Mikey has taught thousands of people, of all ages and abilities, from young children to elite level athletes, special forces personnel and law enforcement officers so there’s something for everyone in this podcast.
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
You can benefit from the different types of energy early in the morning and late at night.
One thing you can’t get back is time.
Nothing prepares you for physicality more than physicality.
There are people on this planet who challenge our understanding of what’s possible.
Use tension wisely.
Start with the end in mind.
“It’s always better coming home. I don’t chase dreams outside of where I am these days.”
Question of the day:
If you were to go back and do it again, would you do anything differently?
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
Mikey was introduced to us by our friend Mittmaster Matt who spent some time talking to us about his martial arts journey, dealing with fear, self-defence and the coaching business.
If you like this podcast with Mikey, you will like the one with Matt too…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:38 – Mikey’s morning and evening rituals.
- 03:51 – Mikey’s history, his martial arts career and his current posts.
- 06:23 – Mikey’s thoughts on time management.
- 07:34 – How Mikey maintains energy for the day.
- 09:45 – Why Mikey started martial arts and, more specifically, Judo.
- 12:45 – Why Mikey ventured into other martial arts.
- 14:01 – When did Mikey start the softer martial arts?
- 16:10 – Most useful martial arts for self-defence.
- 23:52 – Would Mikey go back and do anything differently?
- 24:29 – Coaches who have had the biggest impact on Mikey’s life.
- 26:46 – Lessons that had a major impact on Mikey’s life.
- 28:51 – The aura of certain key people in Mikey’s life.
- 33:19 – Types of tension and the importance of understanding each type for movement and striking.
- 38:24 – How to identify and remove negative tension.
- 42:29 – The flow of energy in a powerful punch.
- 47:14 – How to move the body when we punch.
- 49:13 – How the PowerKube measures powerful striking and its use as a coaching tool.
- 53:59 – The highest score on the PowerKube and its context.
- 1:00:47 – More insights into how the PowerKube can be used to improve striking performance and monitor health.
- 01:03:57 – Core coaching principles for analysing striking performance.
- 01:07:56 – Inside UFC’s Performance Institute.
- 01:13:54 – How to get into UFC’s Performance Institute.
- 01:16:08 – Behind the scenes at Joe Rogan’s Podcast studio.
- 01:18:47 – Other interesting places Mikey has visited.
- 01:23:41 – Mikey Wright Movements – What Mikey teaches and why.
- 01:26:52 – Mikey’s spiritual practice.
- 01:29:02 – What makes a good coach?
- 01:29:57 – Mikey’s recommended resources.
- 01:33:17 – Where you can find Mikey.
People and resources mentioned:
In order of first mention:
- Guru Tua Chris Parker
- Anthony Arvanitakis
- Wayne Lakin – Hinkely – Wing Chun Kung Fu
- Kickboxing Sensei Karl Stevens in Hinkley
- Eddie Quinn
- Bruce Lee
- Jeans-Claude Van Dam
- Blood Sport
- Martial Arts Illustrated
- Sifu Steve Rowe
- Mikhail Ryabko
- Vladimir Vasiliev
- Mick Tully
- Kevin Franklin
- Mittmaster Matt
- Francis Ngannu
- Joe Rogan
- Forrest Griffin
- UFC PI (Performance Institute) in Las Vegas
- Jeff Holmes
- Brendan Schaub
- Craig Ley
- Unbreakable Performance Center Hollywood
- Demi Lovato
- Wiz Khalifa
- Arnold Classic
- Carl Jephcote
- The Hero’s Journey
- The City Fox and others in our community by Chris Parker
- Debris by Chris Parker
- The Wisdom of Epiah Khan by Chris Parker
- Eckhart Tolle
- The Brain Always Wins by Dr John Sullivan and Chris Parker
- Notes from a Factory Floor by Geoff Thompson
- The Divine CEO by Geoff Thompson
- Matt Chapman