Introduction to guest:
Mark Divine is a retired Navy SEAL commander who graduated as Honor Man (#1 graduate) of his BUDS class.
He’s also a successful entrepreneur who has built several successful companies (including two 8-figure businesses).
He is an expert in elite performance, mental toughness and leadership development, and is also a New York Times best-selling author.
Mark has just completed a “22 million burpees challenge” with his Courage Foundation to raise money for the support of veterans who suffer with PTSD.
If you’re interested in improving your performance, mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually or financially, this will be a great podcast for you!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“Meditation is harder than getting busy and sweaty on the floor.”
“Be someone special.”
“When you’re all in your head and not in your heart, you can’t sense the direction it’s trying to point you [in].”
Stacked morning practice – Box breathing can second as concentration training, then you can tack on your visualisation practice.
Breathe center out in all directions for full lung capacity.
Interdict negative talk and then replace it with: positive mental dialogue, mental imagery, emotional state and take a physical action to invoke that positive outcome.
Kokoro – merge your heart-mind and head-mind into your actions.
Visualise success (the art of being/becoming) and skill (the art of doing).
Front side focus = Micro Goals = Focus on the right target, at the right time, for the right reasons.
PBTA – Pause, Breathe, Think, Act.
22 veterans per day are committing suicide, on average.
Fox walk meditation – One step per minute… like stalking.
“One day, one lifetime.”
Read a book for an hour or meditate for an hour?… Meditate!
Question of the day:
“What’s the hardest thing you have ever done?” (the answer is not what you would expect).
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
During the show Mark emphasizes the importance of breathing for high performance.
To expand your knowledge of this subject, check out our podcast with David Toney, a breathing specialist, who goes into all sorts of breathing techniques that can help increase your mental, physical and all-round daily performance.
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:33 – Mark’s story of going from CPA to Navy SEAL to entrepreneur, author and trainer of leaders.
- 08:31 – Mark’s early introduction to meditation and Zen, including his “counting” practice.
- 15:28 – How Mark used meditation, and other techniques, to find his path in life.
- 23:46 – Where were the answers coming from, the subconscious or something larger?
- 26:04 – How to develop the skills of introspection and meditation.
- 29:15 – The development of SEALs and the advancement of spiritual connection.
- 31:06 – The skills Mark used to graduate BUDS (Navy SEAL training) as “Honor Man” and assist his whole team in graduating.
- 33:22 – What does it take to be Honor Man?
- 38:36 – The Big Fours Skills for mental toughness.
- 53:09 – How do you know if your goal is the right one?
- 56:03 – Does Mark believe in the Law of Attraction?
- 58:20 – The importance of the subconscious in success, achievement and happiness.
- 01:00:51 – How Mark is helping veterans with PTSD and the 22 million burpees challenge.
- 01:09:45 – The use of psychedelic drugs for PTSD treatment.
- 01:11:30 – The impact of microtraumas on the brain over time and how to heal it.
- 01:14:12 – What a normal day and week looks like for Mark.
- 01:21:50 – The Five Mountains.
- 01:22:51 – How to develop your intuition.
- 01:28:16 – Mark’s recommendations for longevity of training.
- 01:31:53 – How to increase your energy.
- 01:32:18 – What supplements Mark takes.
- 01:33:48 – What’s the hardest thing that Mark has ever done?
- 01:34:39 – Mark’s mantras.
- 01:37:12 – What principles/lessons does Mark live by?
- 01:39:08 – Resources Mark often refers back to, gifts or recommends.
- 01:42:11 – All answers are inside of you. Practicing over reading.
- 01:45:46 – Shaun recommending Mark’s books.
- 01:46:05 – Gaz showing The Way of the SEAL book.
- 01:46:32 – Where to find Mark.
- 01:47:31 – Shaun wrap-up and where you can find the best bits.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Andy Stumpf
- Bhagavad Gita
- Colonel Boyd and the OODA Loop
- Courage Foundation
- Dr. Mark Gordon
- Future Farmers America
- Geoff Thompson
- Himalayan Masters by Swami Rama
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Joe Rogan
- Navy SEAL Foundation
- Patanjali Yoga Sutra
- Qualia Life
- Qualia Mind
- Sun Tzu
- Tadashi Nakamura
- The Law of Attraction
- The Secret (movie)
- The Way of the SEAL by Mark Divine
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Tim Ferriss
- Unbeatable Mind by Mark Divine
- Warrior Angels Foundation
- Zen mind beginner’s mind
- Zen Mountain Monastery