“The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.“
Maintaining healthy and happy relationships when you are busy with work can be a challenging endeavor. With predetermined schedules, giant personal goals and never-ending projects, managing relationships can become more of a stress factor than a source of relief.
In fact, a study published in a 2010 publication of Personnel Psychology suggested that employees who worked excessively reported feelings of psychological and emotional distress and a reduction in their overall level of well-being.
What Should Be Done?
To effectively manage your relationships you need to strike a balance between professional and personal life, which can be difficult but is certainly not impossible. So, in such a scenario, a handful of relationship tips will work in your favour. These tips will not only help you build and maintain healthy relationships with your fellow beings but also improve the quality of your life:
Healthy Relationships With Friends And Family
Every person needs love, affection and acceptance. By building positive relationships with others, one will not only be happier and fulfilled but also feel more supported and connected. So, read on, introspect and answer.
- Can you alter your work profile or daily routine to reduce effort and save energy for your loved ones?
- Know your limitations – Learn from Parkinson’s Law and don’t get caught working unnecessarily long hours, putting a strain on your relationship.
- Prioritise! – Get things done so you can spend more quality time with your family.
- Avoid using the phone or any other gadget while family and friends are around – There are mobile apps that can help with this.
- Have at least one meal together, per day, as a family.
- Meet your friends at least once a month.
- Set your deadlines and allocate your work accordingly.
- Don’t discuss work at home.
- Plan a vacation twice a year with your friends or family.
- Take a break and go outdoors by yourself to clear your mind.
- Focus on one task at a time.
- Make a point to spend the weekend with your family.
- Talk to your family on a daily basis – communication is an essential aspect of relationships.
Managing Your Relationship With Your Spouse Or Partner
We live in the 21st century when both the male and the female counterparts are full of ambitions and dreams. The nature of work is such that they don’t get time even for each other. Therefore, these tips could help you improve and revive relationships with your partner:
- Understand – Each partner should understand the other – Their work profile, their schedules, their likes and dislikes.
- Compromise – A little give and take will help your relationship prosper – One could prepare breakfast and the other one could take up responsibility for the dinner.
- Share – Responsibilities, experiences and physical things.
- Give space – Don’t assert additional authority on each other.
- Leave work at work – Don’t discuss work at home, but do open up to your partner if you are stressed at work.
- Spend quality time together – Take a road trip, drive, go on a vacation.
- Be supportive – Support each other to be better people and create a loving relationship.
- Be flexible – Learn to stay alone if your partner is busy with their work. Plus, you could also plan a little surprise for your partner so that he/she feels wanted and special.
- Enjoy the life’s little things together – celebrate the small achievements.
Relationship Saving Advice
Advice is merely a set of guidelines that one can choose to follow; it depends on the person whether they are taken seriously or not. Work is not everything in life and working excessively can make you lose many things in life especially your precious relationships. Here are some free snippets of advice for you. It’s up to you whether you take them or not but please consider them. Give yourself a little preference over your work.
- Travel: because travel gives clarity of mind that a stressed person desperately needs.
- Follow a routine. Give a structure to life. Make an action plan to follow.
- Make a list of your priorities excluding work.
- Make another list of the challenges that are coming your way.
- Don’t procrastinate; complete daily duties so that work doesn’t pile up.
- In tense situations just take a deep breath, sit and contemplate.
- Indulge in some high-school hobbies, be it dancing, singing, painting, swimming, sports or anything. Just go for it!
- Take some time for personal grooming.
- Set reminders to eat on time.
- Instead of ordering Pizza, order a healthy meal.
- Pack fruit for lunch breaks.
- Have a proper and a substantial breakfast.
- Wake up early in the morning and go out for a jog or a brisk walk.
- Take a light dinner.
- Take the stairs and ditch the elevator.
- Make a diet chart, visit a nutritionist and introduce some changes to your diet.
- Exercise or incorporate an aerobic regime into your morning routine.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle along with your work is not very difficult if you are determined to strike a balance. One of the most profound experiences we have in our lives is the connection with our loved ones. Positive and supportive relationships will help us feel healthier, happier, and more satisfied with our lives.
Your self-esteem, contentment, and capacity to flourish are influenced significantly by your relationships with family, friends or partners. Healthy relationships can provide support, affection, excitement, and love. However, they could lead to distress and sorrow if they go wrong. To avoid this stressful situation, we should learn and practice the effective management of our relationships.