Introduction to guest:
Matt Thomas is the writer, fighter, fundraiser, fitness coach, and digital nomad that founded the kick-ass non-profit, Brawl for a Cause.
His life mission is to donate $1 billion to causes worth fighting for before he dies.
He is the ChessBoxing World Champion (90kg).
Enjoy the show…And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“All of the businesses I’m involved with, all the projects I’m working on are [moving] in the same direction. They are different vehicles on the same road.”
You can find what you love through trial and error.
Being a part of something successful is not an insurmountable challenge like some people make it out to be, it’s just one step at a time.
Find what works best for you and double-down on that.
Farmers markets are your best opportunity to obtain good nutrition whilst travelling. Matt also carries peanut butter pretzels and trial mix (from Trader Joe’s) whenever he travels because they don’t decay quickly and they are a good source of protein, sodium and calories.
It’s funny what you stumble across when you put yourself out there – serendipity is a wonderful thing.
“Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realise that what you’ve found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.” – Lawrence Block
Bucket list item – “Go see a Muay Thai fight in Thailand.”
Take on your fears – “I was terrified of the ocean […] so I went to get scuba diving certified.”
Whilst doing the silent retreat Matt had to eliminate all “distractions” (exercise, devices, books, etc.), could only have two meals per day that had to be eaten before noon, and all modern comforts were removed (chairs, beds, etc.).
Loving kindness – The mosquito story.
“Around days 6 and 7, I felt like I was going completely insane!”
The mind is like the weather; it changes constantly.
Everyone should go on a solo adventure.
Life’s too short to do stuff you don’t want to do. Even if you don’t have a plan or have it figured out, lean in to what feels most true to you.
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more podcasts on fighting, travel & fitness, check out these related videos…
- 00:00:00 – Sweaty Georgia
- 00:00:56 – What Matt does & how he finds the time
- 00:03:14 – Matt’s skills
- 00:04:01 – How to find what you’re good at
- 00:07:10 – Law school > Broke > Startups
- 00:12:33 – Planning, structure & scheduling
- 00:14:59 – Brawl For A Cause
- 00:18:16 – Chess Boxing
- 00:23:41 – Why Matt travels
- 00:24:47 – Keeping fit whilst travelling
- 00:28:26 – The best places to visit
- 00:38:26 – How a silent retreat changed Matt’s life
- 01:03:58 – Integrating back into society after silence
- 01:08:30 – What gives Matt the most satisfaction in life
- 01:10:10 – A habit that has most improved Matt’s life
- 01:11:47 – The best investment Matt has ever made
- 01:14:53 – Fight & Flow
- 01:15:59 – Long-term travel tips for the Far East
- 01:17:18 – Matt’s final thoughts
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Brawl for a Cause
- Buddy Passes (through Delta)
- Caine (from Kung Fu)
- Chess Boxing
- Fight & Flow
- Love Is Blind (Netflix TV series)
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Massage gun
- Nerd Fitness
- Nomad backpack (Matt recommends the “Travel Pack”)
- Steve Kamb
- Steve Maxwell
- The Alchemist
- Tiger Muay Thai
- Tim Ferriss