Introduction to guest:
With a formal yoga training background in Hot Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Gravity Yoga, and the Yoga Trapeze, Lucas Rockwood has studied with some of the most well-respected teachers on the planet, including Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Paul Dallaghan, Alex Medin, Gabriel Cousens MD, and SN Goenka.
But he wasn’t always into yoga…
Lucas transformed from a New York City book publisher (a job that he hated) that drank seven nights a week, abused drugs, smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and ate anything that was quick and easy, to become the founder of YOGABODY, a world renowned yoga brand.
To name just a few of his feats, to date, Lucas has:
- Taught more than 30,000 students and trained more than 3,000 teachers in 41 countries.
- Launched one of the top 10 yoga teacher training schools in the world.
- Created a world-renowned nutrition, education, and publishing organization, serving 81 countries.
- Received 1,549,869 YouTube views for his TEDx speech in Barcelona.
- Become a highly acclaimed writer, podcast host, TV personality, business consultant, weight loss expert, and health coach.
All this whilst raising three children with his wife in Barcelona.
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“I was flopping around like a pale white whale.”
For mobility and flexibility benefits – Assign at least 25% of your training time (on top of your current training time) to some form of flexibility (e.g. 1 hour training time + 15 minutes flexibility = 1 hour 15 minutes in total).
It doesn’t matter until it matters! – “Go and ask someone who’s 65 and they’ll tell you that flexibility matters.”
“Your nervous system loves consistency.”
Create the worst part of your day and breathe through it in a controlled manner.
The real work is done in discomfort.
80% to 90% of the effect is determined by the rate that you are breathing (when discussing different types of breathing practices).
The future is not the past!
“At least 80% of the clarity of thinking I have, has come through the podcast.”
Practice is everything.
Question of the day:
For someone who is quite active and trains in other areas (martial arts, strength training, running, etc.), would yoga be complementary and, if so, how? And how would you recommend someone compliments their current routine with yoga?
Links to podcast sites:
Questions from listeners:
What breathing protocol does Lucas use?
The full podcast:
If you are interested in breathing techniques, you will love our podcast with David Toney.
We delve even deeper into the science of breathing, certain breathing practices and the benefits of different types of breathing.
It’s a podcast that perfectly supplements our discussion with Lucas.
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:27 – Lucas’ current Yoga teaching and how Coronavirus is impacting yoga.
- 01:23 – Lucas’ backstory.
- 02:50 – Lucas’ time management tips.
- 04:15 – Why Lucas started yoga.
- 06:00 – The mental and physical benefits of yoga – the science.
- 07:32 – Useful yoga breathing practices.
- 10:42 – Different types of yoga.
- 13:09 – How yoga can complement your current training routine.
- 16:23 – What a normal day and week looks like for Lucas.
- 19:01 – What is Gravity Yoga?
- 20:02 – Short yoga routines.
- 20:51 – Different styles of yoga for those who are new to yoga.
- 22:53 – Yoga advice for office workers.
- 23:59 – Why your yoga practice should be the worst part of your day.
- 25:57 – Lucas’ views on breath-holding.
- 27:22 – What breathing protocol does Lucas use?
- 30:26 – Examples of the major types of breathing practices.
- 35:48 – In what scenarios would you use energizing breathing techniques?
- 38:26 – The best places Lucas has visited.
- 40:29 – Places Lucas wouldn’t go back to (he’s least favourite places).
- 42:08 – Mobility (and other) differences between cultures.
- 44:38 – The complexity of happiness (and why not to worry about it).
- 46:45 – Lucas’ yoga business and thoughts/opportunities for the future.
- 48:57 – The biggest mistake yoga teachers make.
- 50:18 – Biggest lessons that Lucas has learned and principles he lives by.
- 51:16 – Biggest lessons Lucas has learned through podcasting (and the people who have featured on his podcast).
- 53:01 – How Lucas prepared for his extremely successful TEDx Talk.
- 54:03 – Resources Lucas recommends, gifts and revisits.
- 55:18 – Lucas’ heroes.
- 57:37 – Does Lucas implement spirituality into his yoga practice?
- 59:45 – Lucas’ final message.
- 1:00:38 – Where you can find Lucas and his challenges.
- 1:01:32 – Gaz’s final words, how he’s widening his perspective and unexpected answers.
People and resources mentioned:
In order of first mention:
- Ido Portal (movement)
- Gravity Yoga
- Yin Yoga
- Mark Divine
- Kokoro Yoga
- David Goggins
- Change Your Breath, Change Your Life | Lucas Rockwood | TEDxBarcelona
- Wim Hof
- Box breathing
- Lucas’ Podcast – The Lucas Rockwood Show
- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr Kelly Starrett and Glen Cordoza
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Influence by Robert Cialdini
- Mark Hyman
- Eat Fat Get Thin by Mark Hyman
- Pattabhi Jois
- David Deida
- Bikram Choudhury
- Jordan Peterson
- Sam Harris
- Benjamin Hardy