Introduction to guest:
Dr Joe Dituri (a.k.a. Dr. Deep Sea) gave almost 28 years of active service to the U.S. Navy, has a Master’s degree in Astronautical Engineering, a PhD in Biomedical Engineering and he’s currently interested in skydiving, and being a civilian astronaut.
Find his full CV in the link to his website below.
Enjoy the show…And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
The ketogenic diet is used for epileptic seizures.
Pure oxygen can become toxic if you’re swimming (moving) at depth (under pressure) and can cause seizures. The seizures don’t often kill you but drowning whilst having a seizure is critically dangerous.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy does not replace your body’s natural ability to repair itself, it just speeds up the process. You should only need therapy once, to get your body back to doing what it was supposed to do.
Science wins over bullshit every time.
“There is absolutely life out there [that we don’t know about].”
“We find between 10 and 30 new species each time we dive.”
“Diversity of thought is what you really need.”
Life is about balance.
Water whisks heat away from your body 25 times faster.
Statistically you are more likely to die by getting hit in the head with a coconut than you are from being bitten by a shark.
You are more likely to be killed by a vending machine than you are to win the lottery.
Being worried is a wasted emotion. It does nothing for you. If anything, it’s detrimental… It increases your breathing rate, heart rate, your blood pressure and puts you into a fight or flight response which is not useful when you need to be cool, calm and collected in the water.
The human record is 73 straight days under water.
I.C.E.E = Isolated Controlled Extreme Environment.
Poseidon is the god of the sea. He was carried across the oceans in a chariot pulled by hippocampi.
If you are in a 100% humidity environment (like in water) and you get cut, it doesn’t heal very fast, if at all.
Be excellent to one another.
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more podcasts on ocean life and extreme living, check out these related videos…
- 00:00:00 – Special Forces Vs. Special Operations
- 00:00:36 – Peaky Blinders territory
- 00:01:22 – Joe’s CV
- 00:03:11 – Ketogenic diet to control seizures
- 00:07:12 – Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- 00:21:09 – How Joe got into diving.
- 00:22:57 – Undiscovered life in the sea & in space.
- 00:25:26 – A traumatic brain injury was the best thing that happened to me.
- 00:30:03 – How long can you hold your breath.
- 00:32:15 – Breathing techniques.
- 00:34:07 – How long could you survive in the sea alone?
- 00:36:24 – The probability of being bitten by a shark.
- 00:38:10 – Joe’s most dangerous dives.
- 00:43:28 – Are we destroying our oceans?
- 00:45:02 – Spending 100 days at the bottom of the sea.
- 00:51:30 – Will we inhabit the sea?
- 00:52:53 – Connecting with the ocean.
- 00:54:48 – Water sports.
- 00:56:27 – Connecting with the ocean revisited.
- 00:58:27 – Secrets in depth.
- 01:00:10 – Why my traumatic brain injury was the best thing that happened to me.
- 01:01:18 – Joe’s final message.
- 01:01:45 – Where to find Joe.
- 01:02:29 – Sailing the Pacific in record time.