Serves: 4 people.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes to prep, 10 – 20 minutes to cook (depending on what rice you use).
- 1/2 tbsp hot chilli powder
- 2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tbsp dried oregano
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 lime
- 2 or 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (depends on your appetite)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 4 large wholemeal wraps or tortilla
- 1 cup unsweetened reduce-fat Greek yoghurt
Optional or alternative fillings:
- ½ cup pre-cooked basmati rice (quickly and easily warmed in microwave).
- 200g pinto or black beans
- ½ cup corn kernels or baby corn
- 1 cup shredded cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat or cream cheese
- ½ thinly chopped celery stalk
- Homemade guacamole
- 2 finely chopped spring onions
- 1/3 finely chopped red onion
- Homemade Salsa
- A sprinkle of jalapeno slices
- For the burrito spices, put the hot chilli powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, pepper, and the juice of the lime into a small bowl or container. Mix and combine to create the marinade.
- Pound your chicken breasts so they are uniform size (around 2 inches thick so they cook evenly).
- Mix your chicken and marinade in a zip-top bag and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (overnight produces the bet results).
- When ready to cook, start cooking the rice as instructed on the packet.
- Put the olive oil in a saucepan, on a low heat, to warm.
- When the pan is hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (2-3 minutes).
- Then, add the chicken and fry for around 5 minutes per side, until the chicken is brown and tender (no pink inside). Keep moving/turning the chicken so it doesn’t burn. Keep the garlic and onions in the pan to caramelise and sweeten.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop thinly and mix all of the raw fillings you have; for example: peppers, beans, and cheese.
- When the rice is cooked, drain it, and add it to the filling mix.
- When the chicken is cooked, leave it to rest for around 10 minutes on a covered plate or dish (covering with tin foil is adequate).
- When ready to serve, cut the chicken into strips and lay a tortilla on a chopping board or plate.
- Put strips of chicken and the filling in the middle of the wrap.
- Pull the bottom of the tortilla up, halfway over the filling. Then roll one side over the filling, pulling it in tight. With your other hand, fold the other side over the side you just folded and roll the burrito into a log.
- Put the burrito onto a piece of foil and wrap it up the same way you did with the burrito.
- Repeat with the other three burritos.
- You can add the burritos to a sandwich press or grill for a couple of minutes to get a warm, “toasty” taste. This is especially good if you want melted cheese inside your Burrito.
- Serve with yoghurt for dipping.
See Shaun’s attempt at chicken fajitas with salad, homemade guacamole & salsa here:
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe!
If you have any ideas or alternatives, add them in the comments box below!
Also, tag us in your pictures on Instagram @MyHomeVitality or #MHV or #MHVLife