Introduction to guest:
Dawson Church, PhD, is an award-winning science writer with three best-selling books:
- The Genie in Your Genes – which is about how emotions drive gene expression.
- Mind to Matter – Which is about how the brain creates much of what we think of as “objective reality.”
- Bliss Brain – Which is about how peak mental states rapidly remodel the brain for happiness.
Dawson’s passions include healing, science, mysticism, family, community and friends.
Just some of the topics we discuss in today’s show include:
- What happiness is.
- Specific techniques that you can use to make yourself a happier, healthier and higher performing human.
- How teams can enter into a combined state of flow to improve their performance.
Enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to join the live discussions!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Gamma is the brainwave of happiness and creativity.
Cultivating flow state in the morning shapes brain activity for 48 hours afterwards. Meditate every day!
Brain states from sleeping to waking: Delta → Theta → Alpha → Beta. “Delta/Theta is superlearning, it’s trance, it’s hypnosis. Essentially you’re hypnotising yourself in that state and that’s when meditation is most powerful.”
“Never do affirmations or goal setting from your local mind.”
Try to slip into an Alpha state every 90 minutes to 2 hours, in line with your ultradian rhythm. Take a break between tasks!
Happiness is not just a state, it’s also a trait.
Anandamide is the bliss molecule.
“It’s hard to be optimistic if your attention is captured by the negative stuff around you.”
“Optimists live, on average, 10 years longer than pessimists.”
Let go of your local mind’s conditioning.
Go into ecomeditation with a question to “download” answers.
“The difference between a gold medal and a bronze is 1/1000th of a second. You don’t get there by muscular strength, you only get there by mental gain.”
“If you are confronted by any problem in your life, of performance, weight, muscular strength, etc. just look at the science. What does it tell you?”
On ethics – “If you had a video camera in the corner of your room, would you be okay with what you’re doing?”
Question of the day:
“Is there a difference between meditation and napping?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
If you liked this podcast with Dawson, you will also enjoy our discussion with Gary Hensel, where we discuss being happy and notes to a younger self.
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:15 – Overall show introduction.
- 00:53 – Finding your purpose, happiness and success in life – mhvpath.com.
- 02:17 – Introduction to today’s show.
- 03:33 – Dawson’s high!
- 04:15 – Dawson’s techniques for becoming a healthier, happier and higher performing human.
- 10:00 – Gaz’s experience of heart coherence meditation.
- 11:22 – When should you do ecomeditation?
- 13:44 – What is the best time of the day to do affirmations?
- 17:25 – Is there a difference between meditation and napping?
- 19:44 – EFT Tapping and a more detailed look into Dawson’s morning routine.
- 21:44 – Merging with your nonlocal mind.
- 23:07 – Where to find EFT Tapping meridians.
- 25:48 – What is happiness?
- 30:50 – How important is optimism and hope?
- 36:05 – Dawson’s view on the Law of Attraction.
- 40:46 – What is group flow and how can teams get into a flow state together?
- 44:39 – How Dawson teaches people who aren’t convinced by his techniques.
- 46:38 – Principles and life lessons Dawson lives by.
- 45:02 – What resources does Dawson often gift, recommend and refer back to?
- 51:40 – Open up the spacesuit!
- 52:10 – Where to find more from Dawson.
- 53:31 – Where to find more, next week’s guest and mhvpath.com.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order: