Introduction to guest:
Dr. Cam McDonald, a PhD scholar, an accredited and practising dietitian and exercise physiologist.
He explains what he does during the start of the show, so I’ll keep this brief…
In a nutshell he teaches us how to be the healthiest and most productive people we can possibly be based on our specific genes, and he gives us loads of practical examples of how his scientific approach works with families, businesses, individuals and teams.
Just some of the major topics we discuss in this podcast include:
- How to find what habits work best for you based on your genetic composition.
- How families, businesses and teams can improve their health and performance by appreciating each other’s differences.
- How to plan your day based on your genetic archetype.
- How your thoughts and environment impact on your life.
Enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to join the live discussions!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Around 50% of our personality is based on our genetics.
Don’t push the stream.
Parents and children can belong to different chronotype groups. “Chronotype” – a person’s natural inclination with regard to the times of day when they prefer to sleep or when they are most alert or energetic.
Some people are night owls, some are early birds. There is no right or wrong, don’t feel guilty about the way you are.
Health is the foundation of performance.
When should you eat your frog?
Archetypes – Sensor, Activator, Guardian, Crusader, Connector, Diplomat.
Some people are not designed for cold showers.
“Everything in your body, and everything your body does, is in aid of your survival. Your body is always on your side.” – Listen to your body and adapt appropriately.
A healthy and successful human is someone who chases their passion and does it in a way that aligns with their biology and natural strengths. If you’re chasing your passion in alignment with your biology, that’s success AND health.
If you operate in line with your biology, it takes you into a state of flow, which leads to “effortlessness”. You are doing what you should be, when you should be. “It’s lubrication for life.”
A healthy and successful team requires a “top-down-bottom-up approach”. Everyone agrees on the collective goal, everyone aligns their passion to the collective goal, and each individual does it in alignment with their biology. This leads to a team full of successful AND healthy individuals who have decided to focus their passions on a collective outcome, and are educated in the individuality of each of the team so that they can use their awareness to support other team members.
“The person with the most awareness needs to adapt to the person with the least awareness”. For example, the parent must adapt to the child. This also applies to teams. You should always assume you have the most awareness in any given situation so you’re always looking to use your strengths to adapt to the other person, allowing them to align with their biology.
Have continual curiosity about why things are the way they are. You can always learn more!
“If you’re not humble then you’ll be made to be.”
Watch any documentary through a sceptical lens.
Question of the day:
“Why is it that all the advice you see about health and productivity promotes waking early and getting stuff done efficiently and effectively? Do the people giving this advice all belong to a certain genetic archetype?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
In this podcast with Dr. Yurth, we talk about simple, scientifically proven, methods that anyone can use to live a healthy lifestyle and live longer. There are lots of additional tips for understanding your biological composition (and biological age) in this show too…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00 – Overall show introduction.
- 00:38 – Finding your purpose, happiness and success in life – mhvpath.com.
- 02:39 – Introduction to today’s show.
- 03:47 – Cam in the wilderness!
- 04:50 – Cam’s personalised approach to health and his big mission!
- 07:03 – Technology Cam uses and how to affordably find your genetic profile.
- 11:33 – How Elon Musk’s Neuralink will impact the health industry.
- 13:27 – Do genes affect our behaviour or does behaviour affect our genes?
- 18:35 – Don’t feel guilty about the way you are!
- 21:18 – Should we be nomadic?
- 24:11 – How families can use genetic knowledge to their advantage.
- 24:18 – How do you stop businesses and society from pigeonholing people?
- 42:34 – How to plan your day to be more productive.
- 48:38 – What are the different types of archetype?
- 56:52 – How different people react to breathing techniques and cold exposure.
- 59:30 – Controlled brain explosions.
- 01:04:27 – Are psychedelic drugs medically appropriate?
- 01:05:31 – Principles and life lessons that Cam lives by.
- 01:06:35 – What makes a successful AND healthy individual?
- 01:09:53 – What makes a successful AND healthy team (and/or family)?
- 01:12:07 – “Spiritual arrogance.”
- 01:15:55 – Resources that Cam often gifts, recommends or refers back to.
- 01:17:52 – Cam’s Yowie farm.
- 01:18:51 – Cam’s final message and where to find more from him.
- 01:20:03 – Where to find more, next week’s guest and mhvpath.com.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Barry Westley
- Blueprint by Robert Plomin
- Buteyko breathing
- Carol Dwek
- Csikszentmihalyi (Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi)
- Ecogenetics by Dr. Alberto Garoli
- Effortless by Greg McKeown
- Secrets of Parenting Without Giving a F^ck by Sue Donnellan
- Stephen Kotler
- Sue Donnellan
- The Law of Success by Napoleon Hill
- The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahnemann
- Tiger King
- Your Brain at Work by David Rock