Introduction to guest:
Craig Harper is one of Australia’s leading presenters, writers and educators in all sorts of areas related to health, personal transformation and high-performance
He has worked as an Exercise Scientist, Corporate Speaker and Consultant, University Lecturer, AFL Conditioning Coach, Radio Host, TV Presenter, Newspaper Columnist and successful Business Owner, as well as being the author of seven books and is currently completing a Ph.D. in Neuropsychology.
In this episode, we dig into the reality of “being human” and how to make sustainable long-term changes to build the most desirable human experience FOR YOU. The critical word there being “YOU”… Which you will understand more as you listen to the show.
Enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to join the live discussions!
More from Craig:
Podcast: The You Project
Book: Pull Your Finger Out
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
We live in two worlds, the external (physical) world and the internal (psychological and emotional) world.
Everyone has a unique experience. We create our own reality.
“No one starts out as a brown belt.”
“Will you get uncomfortable consistently?”
Motivation (generally) is an emotional state that comes and goes. One of the key attributes for creating sustained change is your ability to keep doing what works – to be proactive, productive and effective – when you can’t be bothered.
“My biggest asset is me and my biggest problem is me.”
Sleep, hydration and stress management are three major factors in health, energy and anti-aging.
“Your body doesn’t make shit decisions but your mind does.”
“My gift is mediocrity because it made me mentally and emotionally strong. It made me resilient.”
Manage yourself first! If you try to be all things to all people, your service to others will suffer.
What’s the best use of your time, energy and skills?
Use candour with compassion when communicating with others.
“Your lack of planning is not my emergency.”
“Our life becomes more manageable and controllable when we become stronger, not when life gets easier.” We become a better version of ourselves when we go through tough times. You can’t become resilient when you avoid everything that is hard, uncomfortable or scary.
“Changing your body is actually not that much about your body.”
Feelings of inadequacy can coexist with the knowledge that you are adequate (and in most cases, more than adequate). High performers have self-doubt too!
“I tried selfishness. It didn’t work.” Act out of love.
The mind, body and emotions are one system. Don’t think of them as separate. “We can literally change our physiology with our mind!”
When you get your identity from your body, money, business, brand, car, etc. you will always be insecure because that stuff can disappear, deteriorate or break. “The challenge is to figure out who you are beyond what you’re not (your things).”
There is never a “best” time to do something.
Just have a go!
Question of the day:
“What is the human experience?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
Here’s another leading Australian presenter, Charles Kovess, talking about making change and finding your purpose and passion in life…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:00:59 – Overall show introduction.
- 00:01:57 – Finding your purpose, happiness and success in life – mhvpath.com.
- 00:03:12 – Introduction to today’s show.
- 00:05:28 – Hello from Melbourne, Australia.
- 00:05:50 – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
- 00:08:18 – What is the human experience?
- 00:12:34 – Does Craig’s human experience have a spiritual side?
- 00:15:59 – The psychology of self-motivation.
- 00:20:34 – Key skills and attributes for creating lasting change.
- 00:33:49 – How to maintain energy throughout the day.
- 00:38:40 – How to say no without feeling guilty.
- 00:48:20 – Insidious threats to happiness & dealing with insecurity.
- 00:56:28 – Accepting the dark side of the human experience in order to find peace.
- 01:02:57 – Principles and life lessons that Craig lives by.
- 01:03:51 – Resources that Craig gifts, recommends and refers back to.
- 01:08:13 – The best investment Craig has ever made.
- 01:10:42 – Finding who you truly are.
- 01:13:21 – Gaz’s thank you to Craig for fear inducing thoughts.
- 01:13:58 – Craig’s final message, where to find more from him & his future challenges.
- 01:16:23 – Where to find more.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
- Gary Vee
- Introvert by Little Simz
- Joe Rogan
- John Danaher and Lex Fridman podcast
- Josh Waitzkin
- Cato from Pink Panther
- Mind Over Medicine by Dr. Lissa Rankin
- Naval Ravikant
- Scott Adams
- Tim Ferriss