Introduction to guest:
Colm Holland is an alchemist, writer, teacher, speaker, and podcaster with a passion for life’s adventure!
He was the man who persuaded Harper Collins to make Paulo Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist’ a top priority after reading the original transcript.
The fable has since sold over 85 million copies in 70 languages and has been a huge influence on some of the world’s most successful people, including Oprah Winfrey, Bill Clinton, Will Smith and Pharrell Williams.
After Colm received a ‘magic’ gift from Paulo Coelho himself, and insights into how the book became so successful, Colm transformed his own life, dedicating it to helping others implement the secret of ‘The Alchemist’.
In his most recent book, ‘The Secret of The Alchemist’, Colm reveals how you can discover the power to miraculously change the world around you beyond all recognition and for the better.
His work has earned him the accolade of “a force of goodness” as he guides people on the most transformative journey of their lives toward wealth and happiness.
If you’re interested in The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho, success, happiness or spiritual alchemy be sure to listen to the podcast below…
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
If you read one book, read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Most of us have a field of dreams that are covered over.
“What do you really want, Colm?”
- Follow your dreams.
- Stick to your goal.
- Face your fears.
- Listen to your heart.
- Learn from others.
- Make the good of others your aim.
There are 108 names for “God” or “spirit.”
80% of our behaviour comes from the unconscious mind.
You are loved for who you are and not what you can do!
“Your greatest treasure is vulnerability.”
“The world’s biggest lie is that you can’t control your own destiny.”
Question of the day:
“Why don’t we put value on our discontent?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
If you like this podcast with Colm, you will also enjoy the one we recorded with Geoff Thompson, where Geoff shares his personal story of transformation from being one of the world’s most notorious nightclub bouncers to a BAFTA-winning writer, filmmaker, poet and teacher.
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:25 – Colm’s story, meeting Paulo Coelho and how he came to writing The Secret of the Alchemist.
- 14:45 – Colm’s discontent in his job and plucking up the courage to make a change.
- 21:00 – The importance of service to others.
- 23:07 – The importance of serving yourself first.
- 25:06 – The power of unconditional love.
- 27:20 – Asking for the power to serve others and why “things” won’t satisfy you.
- 29:14 – The importance of taking action.
- 29:37 – Channelling energy in martial arts.
- 30:57 – What is “unconditional love” and how can we use it to make a transformation in life?
- 41:28 – Journeying into the darker places that lead to transformation and the power of myth.
- 47:31 – Where most of our behaviour comes from: consciousness vs. unconsciousness.
- 51:13 – How to journey into the darker places and not being ashamed to ask for help.
- 53:06 – The importance of good mental and physical nutrition.
- 53:48 – Two key life principles: being a net supplier and making the obstacle the way.
- 54:48 – Star Wars analogy for life and The Hero’s Journey.
- 59:23 – Alchemy: what is it, how does it work and its 3 stages.
- 01:02:29 – The miracle of life.
- 01:06:19 – Tuning-in to the energy of life to make change in your life.
- 01:07:07 – Giving the gift of yourself and the importance of showing vulnerability.
- 01:08:47 – Lessons from Patch Adams and the probability of being alive.
- 01:10:39 – A story about Buddha explaining the essence of life.
- 01:11:23 – All things are transforming.
- 01:12:09 – How the colours of alchemy link to the stages of transformation.
- 01:16:58 – Our greatest treasure.
- 01:20:08 – How do you know that you’re on the right path? Your true destiny, fate and your control over it.
- 01:21:52 – Why do we want to transform in life?
- 01:22:39 – We are in control!
- 01:22:54 – Is there an evil element to the Universe and, if so, how do we overcome it?
- 01:25:17 – Colm’s final words on magic and love.
- 01:27:08 – What did Colm learn from Paulo Coelho?
- 01:27:19 – What is success to Colm?
- 01:27:35 – Lessons Colm has learned, and principles Colm lives by.
- 01:28:01 – Colm’s daily practices, mental training and lucid dreaming.
- 01:31:03 – Resources Colm recommends, gifts and refers back to.
- 01:32:06 – Additional resources from Shaun regarding the Hero’s Journey and self-transformation.
- 01:32:58 – Gaz’s final thought about facing your fears and a stoic quote.
- 01:34:14 – Shaun’s final thought about doing the impossible and a final quote.
- 01:34:40 – Colm’s final thoughts and saying thank you.
- 01:35:30 – Where to find further resources.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Are You a Miracle? On the Probability of Your Being Born
- Brian Cox
- Carl Yung
- Cato (Cato Fong)
- Charley Morley
- Dante’s Inferno
- Desert Island Disks
- Finding Joe
- Geoff Thompson
- Geoff Thompson’s article about service
- George Lucas
- Harper Collins
- Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Inspector Clouseau
- Isaac Newton
- Joseph Campbell
- Marcus Aurelius
- Patch Adams
- Paulo Coelho
- Robin Williams
- St. Francis of Assisi
- Star Wars
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Alchemy Lab
- The Bible
- The Complete Works of Shakespeare
- The Hero’s Journey by Joseph Campbell
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
- The Secret of the Alchemist by Colm Holland
- Tim Ferriss’ release of Bill Moyers in conversation with Joseph Campbell
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson