Introduction to guest:
Chris Parker is a #1 Amazon bestselling author.
He is a novelist, poet, biographer and writer of non-fiction.
Chris has spent over four decades studying interpersonal and intra-personal communication and influence, and is a highly experienced academic, teacher, trainer, career coach and hypnotherapist.
He is also a lifelong martial artist who has been practising meditation since 1976.
If you’re interested in creativity, communication, introspection, influence, meditation or martial arts, you’ll enjoy this podcast.
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Of martial arts – “If I don’t have the art aspect, the point that teaches me how to create value in my life, I have no need for the combative, because there’s nothing to defend.”
Teach processes! Teach a man to fish, don’t give him the fish!
EGO = Edge God Out.
“The greatest indicator of brain size in a species is the size of the social group in which the animal functions.”
How we communicate with ourselves and others creates wars and saves lives.
Play the game! (example – “getting the job game”)
Connect your job and your life.
The vagus nerve connects the mind and gut. Listen to your gut!
Learn to see the space (not things).
“The Universe is passing through the room unnoticed.”
Use silence and space to help communicate and read people better.
Silence and space are the grounds on which everything exists.
“It’s never what you want to say, it’s what they need to hear, done in their language.”
“The quality of our relationships is determined by the quality of our communication.”
“Death is the end of consciousness as consciousness understands itself, so forget it.”
“Life is the dot at the centre of the circle, so strip all else away.”
Question of the day:
“What advice would you give to someone who is at a crossroads in their life and need to find their way, or decide what to do going forward?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
Chris mentioned the wonderful Eddie Quinn and Mikey Wright several times during this podcast, so to find out more about those guys, watch the podcasts below…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on Facebook.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on Facebook.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:26 – Gaz contracted Covid-19!
- 01:46 – Chris’s story, how he got into martial arts and his life mentor.
- 12:53 – Chris’s initial training with his mentor and breaking down his ego.
- 23:17 – What is Silat Fitrah?
- 36:29 – What are martial arts and what is the need for them?
- 39:07 – The role of a teacher, coach or trainer.
- 42:14 – Movement, awareness and connection to your mind, body and the planet.
- 46:52 – Gaz’s thoughts on ego and being human.
- 48:40 – Messages from viewers.
- 49:11 – Why we need culture and society but why it must also be managed.
- 53:07 – The dichotomy of Connection Vs. Disconnection.
- 01:01:25 – Chris’s creative process and using the conscious and subconscious mind.
- 01:08:20 – Gaz’s thoughts on connection and disconnection.
- 01:09:51 – Is there more to the subconscious mind?
- 01:11:45 – The poem ‘Prayer For Max’.
- 01:17:37 – How to find your own path in life, connecting with yourself and the risk of identity.
- 01:32:24 – Chris’s thoughts on psychedelic drugs.
- 01:33:55 – What is the significance of space and silence?
- 01:44:15 – Gaz’s Chuck Norris quote.
- 01:44:40 – Resources that Chris often refers back to, recommends or gifts.
- 01:45:25 – Chris’s “go to” person.
- 01:47:53 – More resources that Chris often refers back to, recommends or gifts.
- 01:49:34 – What Chris’s meditation practice looks like.
- 01:51:20 – What makes a good communicator? (and coach/trainer/teacher)
- 01:58:49 – Chris and Gaz reminiscing about Shane.
- 02:00:18 – An unnamed poem about looking after our planet.
- 02:04:38 – Where you can find Chris.
- 02:05:11 – Where to go for further resources.
- 02:05:31 – Final words from Epiah Kahn about life and death.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Alan Ladd
- Bapak Hj Idris bin Alimuda (no online presence)
- Born Fighter (the life story of Dave Hazzard)
- Chuck Norris
- Clint Eastwood
- Colm Holland
- Conversations about the dot at the centre of the circle (poetry not yet released)
- Cus D’Amato
- Debris (poetry collection by Chris Parker)
- Donn Draeger
- Eddie Quinn
- Epiah Kahn
- Ericksonian Approaches by Thomas South and Rubin Battino
- Fighting Arts International Magazine (not sold online)
- Jack Palance
- John Sullivan
- Michio Kaku
- Mike Tyson
- Mikey Wright
- Navy SEALS
- New England Patriots
- Pale Rider
- Prayer For Max from the poetry book Debris
- Sensei Dave Hazzard
- Terry O’Neill (Fighting Arts International Magazine)
- The Brain Always Wins book
- The Brain Always Wins podcast
- The City Fox & others in our community
- The City Fox poetry collection
- The Hero’s Journey
- The Monk
- The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy by Louis Cozolino
- The Political Brain by Drew Western
- Wayne Dyer