Serves: 6 Side dishes.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes to prep, 15 – 20 minutes to cook
- 1 hot red chilli (ideally scotch bonnet), whole and undamaged
- 400g coconut milk
- 7 allspice berries
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 spring onion
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 2 x 410g black beans or kidney beans
- Salt and pepper
- 300g basmati rice
- Slightly bruise the spring onion.
- Roughly chop onion and peel garlic clove.
- Rinse the rice and add into a large sauce pan with all ingredients except kidney beans
- Add in 300ml of cold water and bring rice to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once boiled turned down heat and simmer for around 10minutes.
- Now add in kidney beans and cook for a futher 2 mins.
- Turn heat off a leave for 2 more minutes to allow rice to absorb all the liquid.
- Remove the tyme, spring onion, garlic and chilli.