Serves: 4 people.
Preparation time: 20 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to cook.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (colour of your choice), chopped
- 500g chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried is fine)
- 170g of smoked or spicy sausage or chorizo, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cup (350ml) of low-salt chicken stock
- 1 (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250g) of long grain rice
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 450g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat the oil, in a large frying pan, with a lid, over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell peppers.
- Cook until soft (about 3 mins), then stir in the chicken pieces and season with the salt, pepper and oregano to taste (be careful not to over-season with salt and pepper – the sausage/chorizo will already be salty! Seasoning with salt and pepper is optional).
- Cook until the chicken is golden (about 5 – 8 mins), then stir in the sausage/chorizo, garlic, and tomato puree.
- Cook until fragrant (about 1 min).
- Add chicken broth, tinned tomatoes, rice, and Cajun seasoning.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook until the rice is tender, and the liquid is almost all absorbed (about 20 mins).
- TIP – Try the rice every 5 – 10 mins until you reach a consistency that you like. You may need to add more water as the rice consumes the liquid in the pan, and keep stirring – you don’t want to burn the rice!
- Add the shrimp and celery and cook until the shrimp turn pink (around 3 to 5 mins).
Tip – If you don’t have a large frying pan with a lid, use the same technique for cooking this dish as our Traditional Spanish Seafood Paella!
Please let us know how you get on with this recipe!
If you have any ideas or alternatives, add them in the comments box below!
Also, tag us in your pictures on Instagram @MyHomeVitality or #MHV or #MHVLife