Introduction to guest:
Bobby Cappuccio knows what it takes to make positive change. He was dealt a seriously cruel hand at the start of his life but managed to transform himself into a world-renowned speaker, author and behaviour-change coach.
During the show we dig into Bobby’s past and how he created positive change for himself and discuss some entrepreneurial topics like:
- Finding the right people to work with.
- How to motivate people.
- The dynamics of a good team.
We also cover some general topics like:
- How to make big decisions.
- Dealing with fears, failures and risks.
- How to become more self-aware.
Enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel to join the live discussions!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
“He tried harder at life than anyone I had ever met.”
You don’t have to be good at everything. Build on your strengths.
If you can serve, contribute and/or add value to others, you are a valuable person.
Who do you work for?
The game is simple: “We help people, and we help people who help people.”
A good question: “If I only needed to do 2 or 3 things exceedingly well to be successful, what would they be?”
Be a connoisseur of talent and train them, then train them over and over again.
“You need to have as much intrinsic adaptability as there is extrinsic volatility.”
“Listen more than you instruct/teach.”
Find the right people → Set very clear and specific expectations → Motivate them → Develop them.
“Success, like happiness, cannot be pursued, it must ensue as an unintended side effect from one’s personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself.”
Sometimes, what you know becomes a barrier. “Innovation is not about getting new ideas into your head; it’s about getting the old ones out.”
“I don’t go out to recruit; I recruit when I go out.”
Alignment. Attitude. Aptitude.
Integrity. Energy. Intelligence.
Your employees are your customers. Your alumni are a reflection of you.
Environment powerfully influences behaviour.
“Life is (people are) my passion, fitness is my tool.”
Environment 🡪 Emotions 🡪 Feelings 🡪 Thoughts 🡪 Actions
What affects our internal environment profoundly? Physical health.
When analysing performance: “What happened today vs. your best day?”
“Don’t deny someone’s reality!”
“The more attached you are to ‘yes’, the less likely it is to show up.
“Results come from processes.”
There is not a lack of information. The way information is delivered is what gets through to people. “Content only tastes like the container it flows from.”
“What builds tribes and culture is not necessarily the people that belong to them, it’s the people that don’t.”
“Where in your past were you particularly good at something?”
If you aren’t motivated, look at how aligned your goals are to what you value most. Are you pursuing someone else’s value hierarchy instead of your own? You’re never lazy when there’s strong resonance!
“Fiction is living truthfully in an imaginary circumstance.” (paraphrasing from Sanford Meisner).
Question of the day:
“How do you manage a diverse team?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
For more tips on leadership, teamwork and making positive change, check out these podcast episodes…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:00:41 – Overall show introduction.
- 00:01:38 – Finding your purpose, happiness and success in life – mhvpath.com.
- 00:03:01 – Introduction to today’s show.
- 00:04:17 – Shaun’s slipper fetish!
- 00:06:09 – Bobby’s young life and his severe adversities.
- 00:17:01 – Lessons from Bobby’s first mentor.
- 00:22:37 – How to be a better manager.
- 00:35:52 – Why to employ weird people.
- 00:37:50 – How to manage diverse teams.
- 00:39:02 – The 4 things that managers should do.
- 00:40:49 – How to find and recruit the right people.
- 00:52:58 – How to find your passion.
- 00:59:21 – How to find your purpose.
- 01:02:14 – How to make difficult decisions and dealing with fears, risks and failures.
- 01:10:42 – Bad practices for creating positive lasting change.
- 01:20:12 – Self-awareness exercises.
- 01:24:21 – The value of your peers.
- 01:25:32 – A principal Bobby lives by.
- 01:26:22 – Resources Bobby often gifts, recommends or refers back to.
- 01:28:36 – What makes a healthy and successful individual?
- 01:29:11 – Recommended Peter Drucker books.
- 01:29:01 – Where to find more from Bobby and his challenges for the future.
- 01:32:20 – Where to find more, next week’s guest and mhvpath.com.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- Ashby’s Law of Requisite Variety
- Bert Reynolds
- Billy Idol
- Bugsy Siegel
- Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast (Quote attributed to Peter Drucker)
- Dr. Denis Waitley – The Psychology of Winning
- Dr. John Sullivan
- Dr. Martin Seligman
- Dr. Eric Berne
- First, Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Mike Sarraille
- Neil Postman
- Peter Drucker
- Positive Self-direction by Jim Rohn
- Stanford Meisner
- Essential Drucker by Peter Drucker
- Tim Ferriss
- VIA character strengths survey
- Warren Buffett
- Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire