Serves: 8 people.
Preparation Time: 6 – 8 hours marinading, 30 minutes to prep, 45 minutes to cook.
- 1 x 2 kg leg of lamb
- 2 ancho Mexican dried chillies or similar
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 bunch of fresh oregano
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 500g low fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp mint sauce
- The lamb will need preparing at least 8 hours before. Cut down centre of lamb to expose bone and remove.
- Now lay the lamb flat with skin facing down and using a sharp knife, make an incision halfway into the flesh on each side. Now open lamb out so that it is flat.
- Soak your dried chillies in a bowl of hot water and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the chillies, put a pan on medium heat and the black and pink peppercorns, fennel and coriander seeds. No oil is required as we want to dry roast these. 30 – 45 seconds should be long enough.
- Once chillies have soaked, add these along with dry roast mix and a splash of water to a food processor and blend into a paste.
- In a large bowl, mix the spice paste with the lemon zest, paprika, oil, vinegar, a pinch of sea salt and oregano leaves. peel and crush in the garlic, finely slice the fresh chillies and add into the mix.
- Now add in the lamb and thoroughly rub the mixture into all the gaps. This needs to be left to marinade for atleast 4 – 6 hours minimum.
- Remove lamb and leave to warm to room temperature.
- Make sure your barbeque is ready and hot.
- The lamb needs cooking for around 45 minutes. Make sure you turn it every 10 minutes so that it cooks evenly.
- Once cooked, removed from the barbeque and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- While lamb is cooling, mix the Greek yoghurt with the mint sauce in a bowl.
- A great side to try with this recipe is our avocado and mango salad
- In a small bowl, stir the harissa through the yoghurt and season to taste.
- Slice lamb and serve on a board with halve a lemon.