Introduction to guest:
Barry has studied Martial Arts since 1964, that’s nearly 60 years of martial arts experience, plus he’s a qualified Shiatsu practitioner, an Associate Member of Malvern College of Healing, an ex-powerlifting champion and inventor of the Chi Baton Exercise System.
He is a 3rd Tengchi in Tai Chi and Chinese Yoga, and a 1st Tengchi in Kung Fu, with a keen commitment to teaching Taoist arts throughout the West Midlands.
This is a great podcast for those of you who are interested in looking after your mind and body, martial arts, Toaism, energy control and life lessons from a guy who has more than his fair share of life experience.
Sit back, enjoy the show and don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more (and to join the live discussions)!
Key quotes and takeaways from the show:
Posture impacts on more than just your physical performance.
If you can create your own “worst moment” of the day in the morning, and be in control of it, the rest of your day will be easy.
Everything is conjecture!
“Yin expands, Yang contracts.”
Extremes are harmful.
Imagine the yin-yang symbol spinning. Your job is to stand in the middle and allow everything to spin around you.
Looking for a universal truth is a red herring. There are no truths in life. Not even kindness is a universal truth.
“A truth changes with time and changes with the environment.”
“Kindness is my religion.” – Dalai Lama.
“Do it a thousand times and you’ll know why.”
“The more you try, the harder it becomes.”
“The man who shoots for a prize, shoots for two targets.”
“You don’t coach someone to win.” If your student is focussed on winning, they are not focussed on the correct action.
Focus on the process, not the goal.
“Have more sex.”
“Trust yourself […] Trust your intuition […] The more I trust my intuition, the stronger it gets.” Listen to yourself. Nobody else knows the answer, only you know the answer. You can find the answer if you look deep enough for long enough.
If you’re modest, you always think other people know more than you. You develop an overexaggerated respect for other people’s opinions. You don’t have to listen to others, or care if they know more than you. Follow your own path.
“Be more courageous.”
Don’t overthink things. Be more, think less.
Morality is behaving in a way that is natural and appropriate.
Two words that ensure a happy marriage: “Yes Dear”.
The Japanese symbol for humanity is one line (person) supporting another.
“If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him!” Make your own mind up. Find your own way. We are all our own Buddhas. “You find the path by walking it.”
“Be well and happy and free from fear […] If we live in fear, we’re dead already.”
Question of the day:
“Do Taoists try to experience the “yin and yang” of life or do they try to stay centred?”
Links to podcast sites:
The full podcast:
Here are some more videos from Barry, as well as anti-aging and martial arts advice…
To be notified on future podcasts:
Why would you want to do this?
- You can watch upcoming podcasts live on YouTube.
- You can interact with us and our guest live on YouTube.
- You can send in questions for upcoming guests.
If your question gets answered and you miss the live show, you can watch it here later.
- 00:00:00 – Coming up.
- 00:00:24 – Where to find more and mhvpath.com.
- 00:00:59 – An introduction to Barry Westley.
- 00:02:27 – How to improve posture (with exercises).
- 00:18:19 – A day in the life of Barry Westley.
- 00:21:34 – Barry’s healthy morning drink.
- 00:25:54 – A day in the life of Barry Westley continued.
- 00:33:43 – Where to find Chi Baton exercises.
- 00:34:48 – Taoist living and the Taoist diet.
- 00:43:54 – Opium tea.
- 00:45:17 – What are the truths of life?
- 00:49:50 – How do you get out of your own way?
- 00:59:10 – Fun fact about Kung Fu with David Carradine.
- 01:00:15 – Barry’s advice to his younger self.
- 01:06:31 – The thing that has added the most value to Barry’s life.
- 01:08:17 – Dowsing.
- 01:16:38 – Absent Healing.
- 01:19:11 – Healing and Energy.
- 01:23:42 – Principles and life lessons to live by.
- 01:25:11 – Recommended books.
- 01:32:43 – The most worthwhile investment Barry ever made.
- 01:34:27 – How to find your path in life.
- 01:36:58 – Barry’s final message.
- 01:41:13 – Where to find more and mhvpath.com.
People and resources mentioned:
In alphabetical order:
- American Beauty
- Arthur Bailey
- Ch’ang Ming Diet
- Chi Baton
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare
- David Carradine (Kung Fu)
- John of God
- Kapil Gupta
- Kung Fu
- Margaret Hills Diet
- Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett
- Steve Maxwell
- Terry Pratchett
- The Mighty Atom by Ed Spielman
- The Tao of Long Life by Chee Soo
- The Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett
- Time Team
- Wim Hof Breathing
- Zen Flesh, Zen Bones by Nyogen Senzaki